Telephone: 01270 899112

Furlough Dates Every Employer Needs to Know

With more changes to furlough announced this weekend we’ve put together a list of important dates for employers.

10th June 2020

The latest start date for anyone who has not been furloughed previously to ensure they are eligible for the employer to reclaim costs via the job retention scheme.

30th June 2020

The job retention scheme is closed to new entrants. From now on only workers who have previously been on furlough for a 3-week period can be furloughed.

1st July 2020

Employers can take advantage of part time furlough. Workers who has previously been furloughed for at least 3 weeks can now work part time (and be paid by their employer as normal) and also be part time furloughed (where they would be paid 80% of their normal wages with the employer covering the costs in the usual way via the Job Retention Scheme).

The government have hinted that furlough claims would be based on normal hours not worked. We await detailed guidance which is expected to be released on 12th June. We will be interested to see the impact on variable workers and those on zero-hour contracts.

31st July 2020

Deadline for any job retention scheme reclaims up to 30th June 2020.

1st August 2020

Employers will be required to start to contribute to the cost of furlough payments. From August the job retention scheme will cover 80% of wages (up to £2500 per month), employers will be required to pay Employers National Insurance Contributions and Employer Pension contributions.

1st September 2020

Employers will be required to contribute more towards the cost of furloughed workers. From 1st September employers, in addition to employer national insurance contributions and pension, will have to contribute 10% of furlough workers’ wages with the job retention scheme covering the remaining 70% (making the total 80% or £2500 cap).

1st October 2020

Employers, in addition to Employer National Insurance Contributions and pension, will have to contribute 20% of furlough workers’ wages with the job retention scheme covering the remaining 60% (making the total 80% or £2500 cap).

If you need more information on furlough check out our other blogs;